Tropical Fish Tanks
Using tropical fish tanks for the first time can be daunting. Here are a few easy tips, resulting in a fun an enjoyable experience.
Enjoy your first exciting journey into the world of tropical fish.
Essential Equipment You Will Need
We take a look at some of the main components and equipment required for these fish tanks to operate:
- Tropical aquariums require more complex equipment than cold water tanks. When keeping a fish tank, the lives of the tropical fish are in your hands, so it is most important that you have your aquarium fitted correctly and placed on a strong and sturdy stand or cabinet ready to use.
- Tropical Fish Tank Heaters are used to maintain the correct water temperature, and they are a vital piece of equipment used in any type of tropical fish aquarium. Wrong temperatures in the water can result in the fish dying - as they cannot regulate their body temperature.
- As well as the heater, you should use an independent thermometer in your tank to ensure the water is the right temperature at all times.
- For tropical fish this is normally considered to be 72-84º F/22-29º C
- A dechlorinator is a water treatment system which is designed to remove all traces of harmful chlorine from the water- As chlorine is fatal to fish. This is generally only required when you are using tap water from your home.
- Substrate refers to all types of plants, gravel and decoration that may be used in a fish tank. Live plants will help to remove harmful nitrates in the water. They will also introduce helpful bacteria into a tropical fish aquarium, which will be beneficial for your fish.
Tropical Fish Tanks For Sale
- Aquarium Flourescent Lighting systems are required for all live plants, they are also used to copy the normal patterns of night and day. You can use a special timer that will turn the lights on and off at set times.
- Normally between 8 - 10 hours of light is ideal inside a fish tank - any more than that and there is a greater chance of algae growing !.
- An Aquarium Algae scraper is a magnetic device that allows you to easily remove algae from the glass inside of the tank, without having to get your hands wet.It is a very useful tool to have when maintaining your fish aquarium.
If you are serious about setting up a tropical fish aquarium it may be worth investing in the Which Fish Tank Book, which you will be able to refer to, if you need additional information.
Return To Top Of Page
I enjoy feedback on the content from my site's visitors... so why not join in and have your say.... please send your message to us by clicking on the contact us link
... and if you found this page useful or enjoyable I would really appreciate a 'Like', 'Share' or '+1' to help get the word out to other new fish tank enthusiasts. Thank you!